Royal Anne Hotel
Welcome to the Royal Anne Hotel. Built on this very site & opened for business in August 1905, the hotel was originally named ‘The Palace Hotel’ and was the only hotel in Kelowna, for several years. Built with 4’ feet of sawdust under the hotel (due to flooding from Okanagan Lake), the Palace was built with a ‘bridge’ connecting the hotel’s front entrance, to Bernard Avenue. 3 stories high with 35 rooms and only one bathroom per floor, the hotel was a popular stop for travellers who would hitch their horses up to hitching posts, in front of the hotel.
In 1929 a syndicate of local businesses purchased the hotel, moving part of the original building to the rear of the property & constructed a regal new building. The hotel was then renamed ‘The Royal Anne Hotel’ after locally grown cherries, and over the years became THE place to stay in Kelowna.
Located in the very heart of downtown Kelowna the Royal Anne Hotel became well known & deeply loved for fine dining, its elegant décor & European furnishings. The hub of activity, where local businesses and community groups would hold weekly service meetings & ladies would drop in for afternoon tea, crumpets, and legendary Royal Anne – Olive Cherries.
Until the hotel burnt to the ground, on the fateful, snowy night, of December 13th, 1971! Rebuilt on the very same site, the current building was constructed & the Royal Anne proudly reopened its doors to guests, in November 1975. Fondly referred to as the ‘heart of downtown Kelowna’, we proudly pay homage & honor the hotel’s rich past through tale telling black & white pictures and old menus, that hang proudly throughout the hotel & within our guest rooms.
Our rich history combined with classic, boutique-style accommodations & thoughtful amenities maintain our tradition as a favorite home-away-from-home for our guests, all these years later.
For more information on the wine experiences departing from the Royal Anne Hotel, please check out our Kelowna Wine Tours